Thursday, October 8, 2009

metformin's side effects


I've previously blogged about my metformin intake, and this time I will talk about its side effects. What I've experienced are nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and gas but there are a lot more side effects of metformin.



  • Vitamin B12 malabsorption (in the long run lack of Vit B12 can contribute to megaloblastic anemia)

  • hair loss (which is also one of the symptoms of PCOS)

  • lactic acidosis - the most serious side effect but this is also rare

  • loss of appetite (hmmm...I wish I had this one so that I can lose more weight as I'm defintely overweight)

  • GI disturbance(vomiting, nausea and diarrhea falls in this category)

  • malaise, fatigue and achiness
As in all drug intake the benefits must be weighed with the disadvantages. And since metformin's benefits outweigh its disadvantages I am taking it for my PCOS.


1 comment:

  1. You might want to try reading PCOS and Your Fertility by Theresa Leung. I found it really helpful for seeing my alternatives (including metformin). Also, the PCOS article from Women to Women is really good -- again discussing the alternatives... Here's the link, Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)

    ReplyDelete